Monday, September 6, 2010

Before you put your hands up and cheer...

Last night I went to a Hip Hop concert at the Urban Lounge in Salt Lake City. My awkwardness aside for wearing cowboy boots I was not fumillar with the music by Dead Prez. I have only heard their name but had no clue what there music was like.



I went with an open mind. After all, I can dance to anything with a beat. Being in Utah it came as no surprise that majority of the crowd was caucation. But that shouldn't matter. And it didnt... at first. You see, it has nothing to do with race, but everything to do will paying attention to what people say before you follow them. Dead Prez took the stage. The crowd went wild. After about 3 songs I began to notice a theme. EVERY song made a reference to white people. White people having power, controling the world, and keeping black peole down. Meanwhile all the white people in the crowd are cheering. Putting there fists up when Dead Prez make a reference to Black Panthers. What the fuck?!?! I am sorry white people, but YOU CANT JOIN THE BLACK PANTHERS! I was shocked. Was I the only one hearing the lyrics.


To Prove I am not making this up... here are some sample lines from their lyrics:

Hiding in the corridor until we see the dominos car headlights/White boy in the wrong place at the right time

Who shot biggy smalls if we dont get them they gonna get us all
Im down for runnin on them crackers in they city hall

Everywhere the white man go he bring misery
All throughout history, look it up
Everything them bald heads touch they fuck it up
Every government he set up, it be corrupt

Anyway. You decide. Does this sound right? or should people pay attention to lyrics more when they choose who to be a fan of?

This is just for fun, I thought it was funny.








No comments:

Post a Comment